Gary A. Ebert, director of SSE&G’s Governmental and Public Law Division has been Law Director of Bay Village, Ohio, since 1986 and is active in Municipal Law Organizations throughout the United States and Canada. Mr. Ebert has been awarded a Martindale-Hubbell AV rating and an Ohio Super Lawyer rating in Municipal Law. He also is co-director of SSE&G’s Probate and Estate Planning Division and is the Director of the Firm’s Sports and Entertainment Law Management Division.
Admitted to the Ohio State Bar Association, The Northern District of Ohio and The 6th Circuit Court of Appeals. He is a member of the Cuyahoga County Law Director Association International Law Officers Association.
Mr. Ebert attended Kent State University 1968-1969, Ashland University 1969-1972 obtaining a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration. He was a member of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity while attending Ashland University. He also was a member of the Kent State University and Ashland University baseball team. He received his J.D. Degree from Cleveland State University, Cleveland Marshall College of Law in 1975.
He is married to Pamela Mary for 38 years and has three children, Caroline, Amanda and Brian and 4 grandchildren. He is a member of St. Raphael Catholic Church in Bay Village, Ohio. He was Councilman for the City of Bay Village from 1982 to 1986 when he became Law Director a post which he still holds after 24 years. He was interim Mayor for the City of Bay Village in 2000. He also serves as Ohio Chair for the International Municipal Law Directors Association from 2006 to present.
Recent Experience includes:
- Served as lead counsel for the Westshore Communities of Cleveland and successful negotiated an agreement after the Northfolk Southern and CSX merger which agreement was presented and approved by the United States Surface Transportation Board which is still in existence today and limits the number of trains that pass through the western suburbs and in addition provides funding for safety improvements.
- Successfully has defended numerous municipal cases involving zoning laws, land use and constitutional challenges including defending private trusts both for governmental agencies and private and First Amendment challenges.
- Successfully represents Municipalities in labor contracts.
- Represents various coaches/managers and administrative personnel for professional sports/franchises.
- Selected as an Ohio “Super” Lawyer in Government, Cities & Municipalities.